Mitochondrial Support Protocol
Not on Wellevate? Create an account.
Mitochondrial Energy Resuscitation Natural Support for Healthy Energy Production
There are many syndromes rooted in mitochondropathies that are characterized by low energy, lethargy, fatigue and inefficient and compromised function. This may be related to exposure to environmental toxins as well as exposure to endotoxins within the body which can impair normal mitochondrial energy production. The adverse toxic effects of many pharmaceuticals is related to mitochondrial toxicity. Exposure to acute high doses of pharmaceuticals or long term chronic use of pharmaceuticals may compromise mitochondrial function. Exposure to pesticides and herbicides and fungicides is linked to compromised mitochondrial function and inefficient production of energy by the cells.
Occupational exposures to toxic chemicals, metals and solvents are also toxic to mitochondria and lead to impaired mitochondrial energy production. Personal exposures may include chemicals found in packaged and processed foods, cooking utensils, plastics and plasticizers, food and beverage containers and personal care products.
It is essential to identify and reduce the source of all toxic exposures.
A complete approach to resolving inefficient energy production linked to compromised mitochondrial function includes not only providing the mitochondria essential functional nutrients and phytochemicals that support normal function, but also a systematic and thoughtful approach to reduce body burden of toxic chemicals, both exotoxins and endotoxins.
Optimizing Mitochondrial Function Supports
- Healthy Energy Levels
- Sustained physical energy
- Healthy aging
- Exercise Intolerance
- Athletic performance and post exercise muscle recovery
- A healthy body weight and efficient fat metabolism
- Optimal nervous system function and mental clarity
- Overall cellular and tissue vitality and health
To support efficient mitochondrial metabolism and energy (ATP) production and for increased vitality, there are vital nutrients and Krebs cycle intermediates that support the function of the mitochondria, “the powerhouse of the cell.”
Healthy mitochondrial function requires providing micronutrients essential to the Kreb’s Cycle and oxidative phosphorylation …the intracellular metabolic energy systems leading to production of ATP.
Essential micronutrients supporting metabolic energy systems include:
- Coenzyme Q10 – A critical component of energy (ATP) production
- L-carnitine and pantethine – aid in shuttling fats from the bloodstream into the mitochondria, where they are converted into energy
- Alpha lipoic acid and B vitamins – assist various enzymes that function in the energy producing pathways of the body
- Malic and succinic acids – specific components of the Krebs cycle, one of the main energy producing pathways in the mitochondria
- Creatine – supports additional energy production; necessary for healthy mitochondria
- Resveratrol, rhodiola and curcumin – provide phytonutrition that encourage the natural production of additional mitochondria within the cell
Mitochondrial support is appropriate for anyone wishing to promote overall cellular and tissue vitality and health, including those wanting to support energy output for athletic performance.
Dr. Nalini Chilkov, L.Ac., O.M.D., Founder, American Institute of Integrative Oncology Research and Education aiiore.com
Sign in to your Wellevate® account to access all of Dr. Chilkov’s protocols and over a hundred others from today’s leading integrative experts!
Nalini Chilkov, L.Ac., O.M.D. is a leading authority and pioneer in the field of Integrative Cancer Care, cancer prevention, and immune enhancement with more than 30 years of clinical experience combining the best of modern functional medicine with the ancient wisdom of traditional Oriental and natural healing. She is the Founder of the American Institute of Integrative Oncology Research and the Outsmart Cancer Programs and authored the bestselling book, 32 Ways to OutSmart Cancer: Create a Body Where Cancer Cannot Thrive.